I'm full of guilt, I'm generally an honest person, well I try to be - occasionally the halo slips.
Last night after dinner we were meant to visit some friends, not just any friends, my best friend for almost 20 years. I phoned to let her know we were on our way at about 7.00pm and she was, well, very pissed. She'd spent the afternoon drinking with relatives. Now that's all well and good except, I love my friend very much but don't like her much when she's drunk, terribly prim of me I know.
My friend, when drinking, turns in to this very loud obnoxious person who manages to upset everyone around her simply by saying all those truths people don't want to hear. The latest one was to upset my daughter, who is about to travel overseas for an extended time and leave her boyfriend of 3 years, by saying "You know when you come back he'll be married with 2 kids" to her and then to him "You know she'll probably bring an exotic husband home with her" this went on and on despite my daughter kicking her under the table and then asking her to please stop. Needless to say it ended in tears, my friend feeling dreadful for opening her mouth yada yada yada. She has over the past 6 months upset my 3 adult children and they refuse to be around if she's drinking.
So there's my reasoning, pretty valid I think, but why do I feel so guilty? When I called last night, I told her we hadn't even had dinner and it was late so we couldn't come over. Actually we'd eaten and then spent the night watching DVD's.
Has anyone else lied to a friend and felt dreadful afterward?
Oh dear! What a horrible situation to be in. I think you lying in this instance was certainly the right thing to do.
ReplyDeleteWe have a friend like this who gets a bit silly when drunk so when the behaviour starts to present itself we remove ourself from the situation! That way no one gets hurt! x